Locally listed heritage interior, exterior and landscape, originally designed by Kenneth Webb in 1924 and built in 1925, altered by F Glynn Gilling in 1932 in the Inter War Mediterranean Style with Georgian Influences. The L shaped plan, cradles two sides of the courtyard garden adding to the enclosed nature of the sunken garden the other two sides are defined by significant trees.
This is a delicate restoration of the house and a skilful re-imagining internally for modern use, creating new living spaces that relate to the rear well established garden and kidney shaped pool. The existing buttressed sandstone retaining wall is extended to create the podium base that supports the house above, five new archways punctuate the new stone wall.
The scope of work is consistent with Gilling’s Inter War Mediterranean context and the use of sympathetic materials and details mitigates the visual impact of the changes.
Interior Design Hugh-Jones Mackintosh
Photography Prue Ruscoe